Do you hate going to the Drivers’ License Examining Station to renew your license? Is it hard to find a place to park? Is the facility always crowded? Is it difficult to fit a visit to the Drivers’ License Examining Station into your schedule?
Well, here’s some good news. If you qualify for the Illinois Secretary of State’s Safe Driver Renewal Program, you will be able to renew online, over the telephone, or through the mail. If you are eligible, a Safe Driver Renewal Application will be sent to you approximately sixty days prior to the expiration of your current driver’s license.
According to www.cyberdriveillinois.com, the official Web site of the Illinois Secretary of State, you are UNABLE to participate in this program if any of the following statements pertain to you:
- You hold a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Your driver’s license or privilege to obtain a driver’s license is suspended, revoked, cancelled or refused in any state.
- You are not between the ages of 22 to 74.
- Your license has been expired more than one (1) year.
- You participated in the Safe Driver Renewal Program at your last renewal.
- You have already renewed.
- You are required to submit an updated medical and/or vision report.
- You are a School Bus Permit holder.
- Your driving record reflects any conviction, supervision, accident and/or withdrawal.
- You have been prescribed corrective lenses (eyeglasses/contacts) for driving since your last renewal.
- You wish to change the classification or restrictions on your driver’s license.
- You hold a driver’s license in any other state.
- Your driver’s license is being held by the court in lieu of bail.
- Your legal name or gender has changed.
- You are an honorably discharged U.S. veteran and wish to have that designation added to your driver’s license.
If you are eligible for the program, you will receive a “Safe Driver Renewal Application” approximately sixty days before your current driver’s license expires. Your renewal authorization number will be at the top of the page. You will need this number to renew online at www.cyberdriveillinois.com.
Follow the directions on the screen and verify your information. Use a Visa, MasterCard. Discover, or American Express card for payment. A payment processor fee will be added.
Print out the confirmation page. If something happens to your order before you print out the confirmation page, e-mail the Illinois Secretary of State by using the Safe Driver Contact form and include your Driver’s License number. The Illinois Secretary of State’s office will check to see if your transaction was completed.
Your renewed driver’s license will be delivered to your address on file within fifteen business days.
By Karen Centowski