- Heavy snowfall and extreme cold can immobilize an entire region.
- Gather emergency supplies: A battery powered radio, flash light, food that does not require cooking, your medication, extra blankets, and extra drinking water
- Keep your home well heated. Stay indoors during the storm. Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Dress warmly even if you do not feel cold. Wear several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing.
- Wear mittens or gloves and a hat.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you have any following signs:
- Drop in body temperature below 96 degree F, sleeplessness, confusion, slurred speech, stiffness in legs or arms, shivering.
Source: American Home Health's Client Handbook, section Safety Instructions and Guidelines.